discuss: TLDP and the Commercial World

Subject: Re: TLDP and the Commercial World
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 3 Mar 2005 17:45:34 -0000

roach wrote:
[snip]

> Right now I've waisted 8 months trying to work out how to get as much of the
> TLDP content into 620MB of space so I can have a weekly mirror on CD.

I am curious, how much space does the entire TLDP collection require
after duplications have been eliminated?

> To do this I have to delete duplicates and reroute.
> Kill spam, midi music, pgp keys and other rubbish.
> Delete graphics that aren't referenced by on-site content.
> Delete graphics that just contain words and change the document linked to them
> to contain those words instead.
> Move styling to CSS.
> Add navigational meta data.
> Change sym links to HTML referral pages.
> And finally make sure that all the document reference on disc content instead
> of pointing out to www.tldp.org, en.tldp.org, tldp.org, www.linuxdoc.org,
> sunsite* or metalabs*.
>
> I'll have to do this every week, but at least every HOW-TO, Guide, FAQ,
> LinuxGazette and LinuxFocus issue will be on disc.

All this sounds like things that should be done at TLDP. I would
guess it would simplify the mirroring processes we have too.

> Now with this new thing I'll have to have a script to compare each page
> against the official TLDP mirror on my server and strip out your graphics if
> the document has changed.
>
> But it hasn't . Someone printing out the "official" Coffee Making HOW-TO and
> printing out "my" Coffee Making HOW-TO wouldn't see any difference between
> the words.
>
> It's the frame I've changed, for technical reasons, not the words in the
> frame.
>
> BTW how do you intend embedding these graphics in the text only HOW-TO's etc.

The general idea is to avoid graphics if possible since text only
documents still have an important function. ASCII graphics has been
mentioned in the past.

> New thought:
>
> What do I need to due to become a TLDP volunteer. After doing all that work
> the TLDP should be able to get some benefit from it. Shouldn't it?

All it requires is initiative and the desire to do some work. I
would say you qualify. Also I feel the tidying you mention would
be useful at TLDP.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen