discuss: Volonteer lacks or(inc) TLDP on the turn ?

Subject: Re: Volonteer lacks or(inc) TLDP on the turn ?
From: Mathieu Deschamps ####@####.####
Date: 3 Mar 2005 16:45:55 -0000

####@####.#### wrote:

> For instance, I want to share a guide (It's been written) so I send a RFC
> to my draft onto this lists, very well. But first it needs to be
> standartized and I'am routed to Authoring Guide/HOW-TO. Pages later, I
> understand it was made for people who are in writing their TLDP doc. I'd say
> that being a volonteer gets harder every day :) Briefly speaking there's a
> lack of readliness. For me, it's just, how come I publish under TLDP stds my
> written doc ? How to convert ? It shoud not be 50 pages long ? Anyways,
> anycases 'am thrown in the main uniq stream.

Mathieu, are you saying that you have a fully written HOWTO which you now
discover needs to be converted to DocBook, or have the DocBook standardised,
and that you would rather have known about this a lot earlier? I think TLDP can
assist with markup.

>> I didn't mean to publish it on LDP before, I even didn't mean it to become a guide nor

how-to, nor a ...errr. I've discovered.

Also, I know David has frequently suggested that TLDP needs to make life easier
for volunteers.

>> Re - he's all right and must be sanctified ! :)

> As well there are different categories of doc, there's different type of
> doc. Some guide frequently reviewed and updated are references papers. Some
> other are complement, for example on a particular architecture they could be
> less reviewed and updated. This couldn't appear of the same basis. The most
> used could be shortcut to have a greater visibility.

That's an interesting suggestion. Maybe TLDP could use statistics on which
documents are accessed and how frequently to somehow prioritise their
maintenance?

Maybe some kind of similarly democratic system (user feedback?) could also be
used to help rate the quality of documents.

Mick

http://lists.tldp.org/

Créez votre Yahoo! Mail