discuss: Proposed Review HOWTO (full text)

Subject: Re: Proposed Review HOWTO (full text)
From: ####@####.####
Date: 3 Mar 2005 13:58:51 -0000

Hi,

>  Two approaches (besides a wiki) that I can think of:
>
>    * Write to the author and the LDP discuss list (or maybe some
>    other, new
> (?), semi-private list) and look to the LDP to do the followup if the
> author doesn't respond in a "timely" manner.  (A problem with this
> approach, especially if a semi-private mail list but even with a
> public list will be duplicate reports of the same error, partly due to
> the typical difficulties (IMHO) of searching mail list archives.
>
>    * Have a bugzilla (bug reporting system)--ideally one for each
>    document, or
> one that can clearly and easily isolate and search reports by
> document.  (Last time I tried the KDE bugzilla I was overwhelmed
> because (iirc), it combined bug reports for all their products.

I think the idea of using a kind of bugzilla system is ok for
coordinating work, but I think a whole bugzilla is to big just for
managing documents.

I would recommend some kind of management Software. I have such a
thing develop with a friend of mine for coordinating different people
working on different tasks in the same organisation.

If someone likes to take a deeper look on this approch, I can send
him the source Code (PHP).
The system itself is quite simple and derived from a kind of
eletronical todo-list. It splits up in different tasks (called
tickets). Each ticket contains a detailed description of the task and
also holds a list of actions taken to solve a problem or complete a
task.

For example this would mean: someone who finds a bug, opens up a
ticket, describing the problem, next an action is added about the
tries to contact the author, and if they were successful or not.
At the end, when the task is done, it is stored in an archive which
is easily searchable due to the use of a database to store the
different tickets.

C.U. MC Murphy
PGP-fingerprint: 8640 43BF 0807 8349 67F4  C0CE CBA9 83BA 197B 3ED4