discuss: I give up

Subject: Re: I give up
From: Hal Burgiss ####@####.####
Date: 8 Jul 2001 21:00:47 -0000

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 02:48:41PM -0400, David Merrill wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 02:40:40PM -0400, David Merrill wrote:
> > I hope you will try my docbook processor and decide to continue
> > maintaining the document. If not, then thanks for the work you've done
> > and for contributing it to us so it will not just disappear.
>
> Just ran your doc through my docbook processor, found two errors, and
> fixed them. You can view the output on my site, under `Docbook
> Processor Results' then look in the dir called `david'.

Looks pretty good. I sympathize with the original poster (John?). I
went through that, and spent quite a few days fighting installation
problems, etc. Very frustrating. Especially when you know absolutely
nothing about linuxdoc, docbook, sgml, stylesheets, etc, so you have
to learn some of that just to get to first base with installing the
tools.

Anyway, back then, I suggested ldp post packages somewhere, and a new
author would just have to dl/install those packages and he would have
the proper set of tools installed which would help alleviate one
headache. I would think rpms, debs, and tarballs would be sufficient.
Maybe put together a small, custom ldp*<package>, with ldp.dsl, and a
few templates or samples in it too. If this ever seemed like a good
idea, I'd be willing to help keep the rpms up to date.

--
Hal B