discuss: part of the review?

Subject: Re: part of the review?
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 8 Jul 2001 19:46:05 -0000

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 01:17:16PM -0700, Poet/Joshua Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It makes sense as a natural progression to move to DocBook. It will
> happen it just takes time for everyone to be comfortable with it. This is
> why I suggest the following:
>
> 1. All new authors must use DocBook
> 2. If a new author is taking over an unmaintained document that is in
> LinuxDoc. The author may opt to use LinuxDoc.
>
> 3. Existing documents that are in LinuxDoc may be kept in LinuxDoc, but
> you should move your document to DocBook when possible.
>
> 4. All NEW documents should be in Docbook. We can use the simplified
> DocBook DTD if required.

Can we please just `highly recommend' docbook, and make sure authors
know their documents may not wind up fully supported in the
distributions. The indexing and cataloging being done by kde and gnome
only handles docbook, so other formats won't be fully supported. If an
author likes linuxdoc enough to accept that, let them.

I agree with you, Poet, that docbook is far superior to linuxdoc. and
it's *not* harder to write. The 200+ tags are imposing, but in reality
you only use about 20 of them, and only about 10 in regular use. The
other 10 exist only in the header stuff, and you can cut-and-paste
that from another document, replacing the data. It just isn't that
hard.

The *tools* are the bitch, and the docbook processor removes that
problem. Very few people are using it, which means either people
aren't having as much trouble as we thought with their tools, or it
isn't publicized enough.

I'd like to point out that our docbook % has gone from:

May 22	41.16%
May 29	41.11
June 3	41.80
June 10	42.11
June 17	42.41
June 24	42.71
July 1	42.86
July 8	43.56

These figures do not count `archived' docs.

As you can see, we've gone up by 2.4% in just over a month. Let's
continue doing what we're doing.

I keep these statistics, and all other stats, on a weekly basis.

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

Only great masters of style can succeed in being obtuse.
		-- Oscar Wilde

Most UNIX programmers are great masters of style.
		-- The Unnamed Usenetter