discuss: Resources for TLDP (was: Re: TLDP and the COmmercial World)

Subject: Re: Resources for TLDP (was: Re: TLDP and the COmmercial World)
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 3 Mar 2005 07:22:16 -0000

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 11:28:28AM +0000, Machtelt Garrels wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Binh Nguyen wrote:
>
> > Hmmmm.... I think we're approaching this issue in the
> > wrong way.... Perhaps we should think about openly
> > advertising the fact that we require more volunteers
> > on the homepage and maybe combine our efforts with
> > that of others around the globe? Which reminds me, a
>
> Agreed.  The introduction of Hans was just an example that came to
> mind, about people willing to contibute but we even have too few
> resources to get them going.
>
> But if we announce it on the web site, then we need to specify the
> vacancies first, and create a couple of job descriptions.  For instance:
>
> 1) Technical reviewer:
> 	Skills: you are familiar with Linux and specialized in the topic
> of your choice.
> 	Tasks: If a document is submitted to our collection, and you are
> an expert on the matter, you can review the document for technical
> accuracy: check that explanations are correct and not confusing, test
> examples demonstrated in the document.  You can also be assigned existing
> documents, in order to decide whether they are outdated or not.  You
> report to the Review Coordinator.  You work in close cooperation with the
> author(s) of the document.

This depends.  If there are not too many mistakes, one can help the
author fix them.  But in other cases with a lot of errors, you have to
just try to get the author to find and fix them.  So it's not always
close cooperation.

> 	Time investment: you can commit to TLDP a couple of hours per
> month minimum.
This is pretty low, but I guess it's better than nothing.

> 2) English Language reviewer:
> 	Skills: Preferably, English is your native language.  You are
> sensitive to grammar and spelling accuracy.
> 	Tasks: When a document has gone through the technical review, it
> is sent to you for a language, grammar, spelling and style review.  You
> report to the Review Coordinater and work together with the author(s) of
> the document.
> 	Time investment: you can commit to TLDP a couple of hours per
> month minimum.

What about combined language/technical review?  It's more efficient.
See my proposed HOWTO on this.