discuss: Does TLDP have a mission or vision statement?

Subject: Re: Does TLDP have a mission or vision statement?
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 3 Mar 2005 06:11:05 -0000

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 07:04:44PM -0600, David Horton wrote:
> Dan Scott wrote:
> >On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 17:10:35 -0600, David Horton ####@####.####
> >wrote:
> >>I searched the web site and came up with nothing.  Does anyone know if
> >>TLDP mission or vission statements exist?
> >>
> >>Dave
> >Is the manifesto (http://tldp.org/manifesto.html) what you're looking for?
> >Dan
>
> Usually mission and vision statements are more succinct, summing things
> up in one or two sentences.  Something like this:
>
> Vision:  The Linux Documentation Project will be recognized as the
> authoritative source for Linux documentation.

The Manifesto:
   LDP's goal is to create the canonical set of free Linux documentation.

> Mission: The Linux Documentation Project strives to provide
> high-quality, free documentation on a variety of subjects related to
> Linux-based operating systems.

The Manifesto:
   The Linux Documentation Project is working on developing free, high
   quality documentation for the GNU/Linux operating system.

> Vision is where you want to be in the future, mission is what you are
> working on now.
>
> Do we have anything like this?  I think it would be helpful to put
> something together if we do not.

No.  Perhaps Vision and Mission are better classifications.  But I think
a higher priority is to revise the manifesto.  And an even higher
priority is to simplify things for new volunteers and then look for
them.  Rather than make more lofty statements, we need to make real
progress.