discuss: Submission of new HOWTO for review: The Geeks Guide to Understanding Women

Subject: Re: Submission of new HOWTO for review: The Geeks Guide to Understanding Women
From: Howard Shane ####@####.####
Date: 3 Mar 2005 03:28:25 -0000

On 03/02/05 02:24:46, Rick Moen wrote:
> I would suggest that all of these make telling points and are
> informative to the Linux community (but must admit being biased, as I
> maintain one of them).

I think you misunderstand me. I don't suggest that all of these
documents be removed (and I disagree that all those are nontechnical).
But I think the Project did the right thing by rejecting a document
like the Geek's Guide because it added nothing to the knowledge base
and promoted a disparaging stereotype.

> > I think the site's volunteers should hold its contents to a strict
> > standard of impartiality on other subjects, whether religion, sex,
> or
> > even the merits of other operating systems.
>
> You call it impartiality; I call it very much the opposite.  Oh well.

I think you missed the word 'other' in my sentence. I admit I'm partial
to what this project stands for: Linux (and) Documentation. But
increasing the project's readership is probably a shared goal and
likely only if people see us as a source information that is
professional and credible.