discuss: TLDP and the Commercial World

Subject: Re: TLDP and the Commercial World
From: roach ####@####.####
Date: 3 Mar 2005 00:14:01 -0000

On Wednesday, 2 March 2005 13:44, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> One of the primary restrictions on the usage would be
> that any sort of modifications in the document would
> prevent the logo from being used. The explanation
> would  be that its a mark of quality. we would have to
> enforce this agreement on everybody who requests a
> mirror

I really don't see what the point of this exercise is.

Right now I've waisted 8 months trying to work out how to get as much of the
TLDP content into 620MB of space so I can have a weekly mirror on CD.

To do this I have to delete duplicates and reroute.
Kill spam, midi music, pgp keys and other rubbish.
Delete graphics that aren't referenced by on-site content.
Delete graphics that just contain words and change the document linked to them
to contain those words instead.
Move styling to CSS.
Add navigational meta data.
Change sym links to HTML referral pages.
And finally make sure that all the document reference on disc content instead
of pointing out to www.tldp.org, en.tldp.org, tldp.org, www.linuxdoc.org,
sunsite* or metalabs*.

I'll have to do this every week, but at least every HOW-TO, Guide, FAQ,
LinuxGazette and LinuxFocus issue will be on disc.

Now with this new thing I'll have to have a script to compare each page
against the official TLDP mirror on my server and strip out your graphics if
the document has changed.

But it hasn't . Someone printing out the "official" Coffee Making HOW-TO and
printing out "my" Coffee Making HOW-TO wouldn't see any difference between
the words.

It's the frame I've changed, for technical reasons, not the words in the
frame.

BTW how do you intend embedding these graphics in the text only HOW-TO's etc.

New thought:

What do I need to due to become a TLDP volunteer. After doing all that work
the TLDP should be able to get some benefit from it. Shouldn't it?

--
roach
PIETERMARITZBURG