discuss: I give up

Subject: Re: I give up
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 8 Jul 2001 18:42:06 -0000

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 05:56:54AM +0100, John Peter Tapsell <John Tapsell wrote:
> Hey all,
>   I've written a quick  Masquerading made simple-howto.  Anyway, I had it
> nicely formatted in txt, then submitted it here.
> I was told to put it into linuxdoc sgml thingy, so i painstakingly tried to
> this, and a couple of hours later had something which I then sent to Greg
> Ferguson to have a look over - he sent me back a copy with fixes.  I tried to
> view it with "sgml2rtf" and it told me if can't understand linuxdoc or
> something, and to install the -lite tools.  I apt'ed them, found next no
> documentation - tried to run sgmltools which chugged and gave me help.
> I'm very busy, and I don't have time for all of this - I've wasted more time on
> this then writing the damn thing.  I can't work out how to view the stupid
> thing, and I haven't seen anywhere that tells me howto do this in less then 50
> pages, or several layers deep in some obscure website.

Ow. Sounds like you've had a rough time of it. There's no getting
around the fact that the tools are sometimes difficult to install,
configure, and use. Please understand that that isn't our fault, and
we do the best we can to help you out. Sometimes we don't do
wonderfully well (we are all volunteers after all, with lives of our
own), but we usually do go out of our way to give help when asked.

This list is the place to ask for help.

Also, I've set up a docbook processor on my home machine so you don't
necessarily have to even mess with the docbook tools. If you send your
document as a mime attachment, with a .sgml extension, to
####@####.#### I will process it for you and you can then view
the output on my website.

I hope you will try my docbook processor and decide to continue
maintaining the document. If not, then thanks for the work you've done
and for contributing it to us so it will not just disappear.

Regards,

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

Don't sweat it -- it's only ones and zeros.
		-- P. Skelly