discuss: Resources for TLDP (was: Re: TLDP and the COmmercial World)

Subject: Re: Resources for TLDP (was: Re: TLDP and the COmmercial World)
From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 2 Mar 2005 11:23:26 -0000

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Binh Nguyen wrote:

> Hmmmm.... I think we're approaching this issue in the
> wrong way.... Perhaps we should think about openly
> advertising the fact that we require more volunteers
> on the homepage and maybe combine our efforts with
> that of others around the globe? Which reminds me, a

Agreed.  The introduction of Hans was just an example that came to
mind, about people willing to contibute but we even have too few
resources to get them going.

But if we announce it on the web site, then we need to specify the
vacancies first, and create a couple of job descriptions.  For instance:

1) Technical reviewer:
	Skills: you are familiar with Linux and specialized in the topic
of your choice.
	Tasks: If a document is submitted to our collection, and you are
an expert on the matter, you can review the document for technical
accuracy: check that explanations are correct and not confusing, test
examples demonstrated in the document.  You can also be assigned existing
documents, in order to decide whether they are outdated or not.  You
report to the Review Coordinator.  You work in close cooperation with the
author(s) of the document.
	Time investment: you can commit to TLDP a couple of hours per
month minimum.

2) English Language reviewer:
	Skills: Preferably, English is your native language.  You are
sensitive to grammar and spelling accuracy.
	Tasks: When a document has gone through the technical review, it
is sent to you for a language, grammar, spelling and style review.  You
report to the Review Coordinater and work together with the author(s) of
the document.
	Time investment: you can commit to TLDP a couple of hours per
month minimum.

Note that time investment is not necessarily permanent.  It might be
a one-time relationship, or there can be gaps in between projects that you
are working on.  We work with volunteers, after all.

Let's work on this,

Tille.

- --
My Penguin, my freedom.		http://tille.xalasys.com