discuss: Questions yes answers no

Subject: Re: Questions yes answers no
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 2 Mar 2005 06:29:25 -0000

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 12:14:59PM +0930, ####@####.#### wrote:

> I am a newbie to this list and have been lurking for a short while. Over
> the past couple of days (and weeks too, actually), I've noticed several
> comments along these lines:
>
> I get the impression that TLDP is a little "down in the dumps" and/or
> overstretched at the moment.

I wouldn't say that.  The situation has been worse in the past.  But we
have a lot of work to do and I'm hopeful that we'll succeed.

> For me the value of TLDP was/is self-evident, but I'm wondering what the
> members of this list see as TLDPs explicit role in the Linux world of
> 2005? Why is TLDP still relevant, what can it offer that other forms of
> documentation and support can't or don't?

Shouldn't that be self evident?  There are a lot of areas not covered by
the documentation that comes with programs.  There are integrative tasks
that involve both hardware and software that the software documentation
doesn't cover it well.  There also is a need for tutorials.  While
printed books fill some of this gap, online documentation can be
accessed faster and it's free.

> What are the goals for the future?   Where is TLDP going?
Look at the Manifesto, but we are far short of our lofty goals.

> What are the main tasks that need doing?
Reviewing most of our collection by people who know the subject.  In my
opinion, we put too much of a burden on new authors with a long Author
Guide, and DocBook.  Many new authors to update old documentation are
needed.

> I have heard mention of database and Plone projects, what was the aim,
> where are these at and why have they stalled?

Plone was to be our database (and website generator) but the person
working on it (modifying Plone) fell seriously ill and couldn't continue.
Another problem is that plone tends to use up too much resources and our
current host doesn't want to let us use it.