discuss: proposal: Secure Internet for Small Office / Home Office HOWTO

Subject: Re: proposal: Secure Internet for Small Office / Home Office HOWTO
From: Coert Vonk ####@####.####
Date: 1 Mar 2005 00:00:44 -0000

Good suggestion to change the name.  I just did so.

> Also, there are a couple of minor things in the document that I had
> In Section 2.2 after "Make<<EOF" and Section 3.3.1
> under "fdisk $FLASH_DEV<<EOF" there appear to be some screenshots of
> just random characters.  I'm assuming some information got left out by
> mistake.

This is not a mistake, but actual input to the make and fdisk commands.

>  Also Section 5.1 mentions the class B reserved range
> 172.16.0.0/12, but in the not below it is left out.  Again, I'm assuming
> it's just a typo.

No typo.  We all know the networks reserved for private use.  It took
me a while to discover that only a subrange of those networks could be
used when you are running a VPN from a client (in this case the
Shiva/Intel VPN client).  Guess the implementors of these VPN clients
made a compromise between being secure (all traffic had to go through
the VPN) and using split tunneling (some traffic goes through the
VPN).  In this case traffic to those subranges does not go through the
VPN, and allows you to access other computers on your local LAN.

thanks for the response,
Coert