discuss: TLDP and the Commercial World

Subject: TLDP and the Commercial World
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 28 Feb 2005 13:24:22 -0000

Hello,

To avoid further topic drift I am taking this to a separate thread.

Machtelt Garrels wrote:
[snip]
 > I agree with what was said before on free documents on non-free software:
 > it is not really our task to host those and we should be carefull
 > accepting those documents.  Often they are written and contributed to TLDP
 > because no good documentation is available for a product, but we run then
 > the risk that the company owning the software lets TLDP/the community do
 > the work, so that they can lateron "steel" the documentation, and include
 > it in their product at no cost.

The only cases of abuse I know of so far are those of SCO putting
a non-compliant license to their locally hosted copy TLDP collection
and several cases of rampant advertising added to HOWTOs. As far as
I know these cases have not been too problematic.

One hard disk manufacturer has linked to my Multi Disk HOWTO since
it makes a point of advantages with having several disks, something
a manufacturer also sees benefits in. They have not misrepresented
the document and I cannot see any problems here. It does give my
HOWTO a better coverage.

If we all agree this is a good thing and that this is not abuse we
might improve TLDP coverage by cooperating with various companies.
Many send CD-ROMs with their products and might be interested in
adding relevant HOWTOs as the CD-ROMs are rarely full.

I believe a company that steals and change the copyright would end
up with so much negative coverage they would regret it for a long
time. There is a slight risk a technical author might steal entire
sections out of HOWTOs to save time and effort. It is possible that
happened several years ago and the situation was defused properly
which is quietly.

All in all I belive we should look at the possibilities of cooperating
with companies rather than fearing them. Both parties have a lot to
gain from this.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen