discuss: The end of ELS

Subject: The end of ELS
From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 28 Feb 2005 12:33:40 -0000

Dear All,

The message below came up when doing the check of the mirrors.  ELS is the
company linked to from the LDP CD-ROM link on the main page.  I guess this
means that the link can be removed?

Tille.

- --
My Penguin, my freedom.		http://tille.xalasys.com
Books:				http://writers.fultus.com/garrels

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:06:51 -0700
From: jmh ####@####.####
To: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Subject: Re: check your TLDP mirror

Machtelt,

I'm writing to inform you, and the rest of the LDP, that as of March 31
ELS will no longer be in business. We are currently liquidating our
stock of CD products, includeing the LDP CD, at our cost. We are in the
process of formally dissolving the corporation and all its assets.

As we state on our main web page:

"Why are we doing this? We're not in financial straights (far from it,
actually), and we don't have any issues with the open source ideology.
We just feel that it's time to spend our energies on other projects in
different venues. We've found that we simply cannot put in the time to
do ELS justice without some other area feeling the strain and suffering.

We would like to extend our sincere appreciation for all the kind words
of thanks and encouragement we have received over the past three years,
and it has been a pleasure to provide resources and services to our
customers and visitors."

In order to avoid a situation where we have to dump boxes of brand new
LDP CD's in the trash I would like to request that the LDP consider
placing a notice on the front page to let people know that they can now
acquire a copy for only $3.50 US, which is actually below our cost. As
of right now we have 70 copies remaining in our inventory.

You would probably want to remove us from the mirrors list at the your
earliest convenience.

We will send a final contribution check to the LDP at the end of March.

It's been an honor to make and sell the LDP CD these past few years, and
it's our hope that people benefitted from our efforts.

Sincerely,

John Hughes
Embedded Logic Systems, Inc.