discuss: GNU Linux Command Line Tools Summary Ready for inclusion

Subject: Re: GNU Linux Command Line Tools Summary Ready for inclusion
From: Gareth Anderson ####@####.####
Date: 28 Feb 2005 11:22:04 -0000

Hi Michael,

> Gareth,  I know that my responses so far must seem
> discouraging.  My thoughts I have already offered are
> an attempt to help.  The thing is, the body of work you
> have set yourself is very large.  Technical review of
> document of this size is premature at this stage of
> development.

Your response is accepted.
And yes, previous responses have being very discouraging.

I would like to point out that I'm not ignoring other people's
opinions of my document, I am looking for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Saying that its not good enough, or I should delete 50% of my work is
of course unacceptable. And I don't think any author would accept
this.
If you can see particular sections of the document which are bloated,
I welcome you to point them out to me, on or off list.

I'm not saying I guarentee to remove any command that someone says
they haven't used/seen before or that they think its useless, but I
will consider it.

> 1. Fix all (well, most of) of the errors in the entire
>    document, and then resubmit for technical review.
>    As you yourself note, this is an enormous task.
>    However, until you do it, simply resubmitting
>    is likely to run into the same resistance you've
>    already encountered.
>
> 2. Start with a document subset (a much smaller one),
>    find and fix the errors, and resubmit for technical
>    review.  This seems more manageable for everyone
>    concerned.  (I don't say it's less work: just more
>    manageable.)  As part of this process, it would be
>    useful to consult with others on content and
>    direction of the document.

Both points are accepted, I think I'd rather do (1) and try and reduce
the focus a little.

However, in response to general opinions by TLDP, constructive
criticism is fine.

Michael has provided constructive and thought-out criticism in this
email, harsh opinions do not help motivation, and they do not make
documentation better, in fact they don't help anyone really.

So I welcome any more opinions on which particular commands have
issues, or which particular commands you think are dated/useless, just
don't expect me to blindly follow any advice given.

Thankyou,
Gareth