discuss: Modifiability of documentation and software

Subject: Re: Modifiability of documentation and software
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 27 Feb 2005 05:43:38 -0000

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 04:42:39PM -0800, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
> > No, not if we have a consensus that it needs to be made a
> > requirement.  But we seem to be divided on this question.  In the
> > past, LDP has had long and complex debates on licensing issues which
> > have taken up a lot of time, hurt peoples feelings, and didn't
> > result in much improvement.
>
> I dont think there is enough activity here from anybody concerned
> about that now. We are only people talking about it.  I am strongly of
> the opinion that modifiablity should be a requirement and is a major
> plus point regardless of the outdated docs.  If you dont get the idea
> already, this is the first step is clearing up the hurdles preventing
> distributions from packaging LDP docs.

The reason RedHat dropped our docs was due to them being outdated (I
think they complained about quality).  The non-modifiability issue had
nothing to do with it.  So I think that modifiability has nothing to do
with getting our docs back in distributions.

> I have more to follow up on this in a short time. If nobody opposes
> can that be considered as consensus please

No.  Because few may be reading this thread.  And for those that do,
non-response doesn't mean much.  I could ask the same question.  If
nobody else supports requiring modifiability, then is that a consensus?

> > One issue that I'm concerned about is our accepting of documentation
> > for non-free software.  For non-free documentation, one can read it
> > over at no cost and learn from it.  For non-free software, one
> > usually can't even read the source code.  I think that for non-free
> > Linux software, the documentation should be supplied with the
> > software and not via LDP.  However, docs. that compare Linux
> > software without bias (both free and non-free) are OK in my opinion.
> >
> That can come up next. We shouldnt push out all  such docs out of LDP
> after spending time reviewing and accepting it but a non free branch
> wouldnt hurt I believe

I agree with you on not abandoning what we have (unless it's obsolete).
But we could have a policy for new documents and perhaps for updates too
after say a two year notice that after two years we will no longer
accept updates.