discuss: GNU Linux Command Line Tools Summary Ready for inclusion

Subject: Re: GNU Linux Command Line Tools Summary Ready for inclusion
From: Gareth Anderson ####@####.####
Date: 26 Feb 2005 04:48:30 -0000

Hi everyone,

> > It looks to me that the consensus is that Gareth should continue work
> > on the document, correct the errors and resubmit.
>
> Sort of.  I said to *find* and fix the errors.  The major task will be
> to find the errors, not to fix them.  It's already been reviewed by a
> sampling review by 2 persons and it failed.  So I think that it's now up
> to the author to rework most all of it and learn more about the various
> commands from the manuals.

Many of the commands were taken from man pages.

So its possible that I've used a bad source or got lucky when testing
the commands as somone pointed out (David?) with the tr command.

" It's already been reviewed by a
> sampling review by 2 persons and it failed.  "

1 reviewer helped correct grammatical and found a couple technical
errors (probably one or two). This reviewer did run out of time to get
through the entire document, it is very large.

The second reviewer found style mistakes in the way I write. I
attempted to correct those errors throughout the document.

If you are referring to brief glances over the document, yes 3 or 4
errors have being found.
There are ~100 commands listed there, so a 3-4% error rate so far.
No I'm not trying to say its acceptable, I will try to fix it.

But I have re-worked this document many times and I can't seem to find
my own errors....(I can likely find the technical ones eventually but
not style errors in my own writing).

> > However, this is easier said that done, it seems. To do this, you need
> > a reviewer with whom to work closely on all points.
> >
> > I think Gareth is willing to continue work on the document, but the
> > LDP must do its part too and find someone (a reviewer/editor/peer) to
> > help him along.
>
> No.  It's already been reviewed by a sampling review.  The help he needs
> is likely greater than the work he put into the draft version of his
> HOWTO.

Are people willing to do a section each or something?
Re-working the document alone could take a very, very long time.

> > > Where would this be?  Since the demise of the Open Source Writers Group
> > > I don't think that there has been a competitor to LDP.
> > Here:
> > http://www.karakas-online.de/gnu-linux-tools-summary/
> > :-)
> It's great to know there's a site for docs rejected by LDP :-)

Chris is hosting the document whether or not it is accepted by TLDP.
It has nothing to do with being rejected from the TLDP.

> > We can make this number 1 not only in terms of search engine
> > visibility, but in terms of TLDP quality too, so please everybody try,
> > Gareth *and* TLDP.
> I think the ball in in Gareth's court now.

Ok, I could do the work alone but it could take a long, long time in
fact it could be many months before I find the energy to do it.

I am requesting that if people could do say a chapter that it would be
great, because its much easier to find errors in someone else's work
than your own.

> > I think it's TLDP's move.
> I don't.  LDP people have more important work to do.

Well I guess I can wait for more opinions from TLDP people...
I hope some people can spare a little time to help.

Regards,
Gareth