discuss: GNU Linux Command Line Tools Summary Ready for inclusion

Subject: Re: GNU Linux Command Line Tools Summary Ready for inclusion
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 26 Feb 2005 03:14:37 -0000

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 11:59:11AM +0100, Chris Karakas wrote:
> David Lawyer ####@####.#### schrieb am 25.02.05 07:49:14:
> >

> > > And I am asking whether TLDP will accept the document as is with any
> > > errors repaired.
> > I would vote to accept it if most all errors are found and fixed.  But
> > that's a big task.
> > >
> > > I will not cut huge numbers of commands out of the document because
> > > some people consider them irrelevant.
>
> It looks to me that the consensus is that Gareth should continue work
> on the document, correct the errors and resubmit.

Sort of.  I said to *find* and fix the errors.  The major task will be
to find the errors, not to fix them.  It's already been reviewed by a
sampling review by 2 persons and it failed.  So I think that it's now up
to the author to rework most all of it and learn more about the various
commands from the manuals.

> However, this is easier said that done, it seems. To do this, you need
> a reviewer with whom to work closely on all points.
>
> I think Gareth is willing to continue work on the document, but the
> LDP must do its part too and find someone (a reviewer/editor/peer) to
> help him along.

No.  It's already been reviewed by a sampling review.  The help he needs
is likely greater than the work he put into the draft version of his
HOWTO.

> > > Note: I can always take my documentation elsewhere if TLDP is just not
> > > interested.
> >
> > Where would this be?  Since the demise of the Open Source Writers Group
> > I don't think that there has been a competitor to LDP.
> >

> Here:
>
> http://www.karakas-online.de/gnu-linux-tools-summary/
> :-)
It's great to know there's a site for docs rejected by LDP :-)

> The document is very well hosted there and it does not need to be
> together with all other HOWTOs to rank well:

> http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+tools
>
> 4th out of 20 *million* for "linux tools" on Google isn't that bad, is it? :-)

That's because the words are in the title and appear 18 times in his
doc.  For related reason my website comes up 1st out of 117k for
"transportation energy".  My text-terminal-HOWTO is in the top 4 ranks
(1st - 4th) if I search for "text terminal".  When I tried "linux tools"
it came up 3rd out of 181k.  But Google doesn't catch any of the errors.

> We can make this number 1 not only in terms of search engine
> visibility, but in terms of TLDP quality too, so please everybody try,
> Gareth *and* TLDP.
I think the ball in in Gareth's court now.

> I think it's TLDP's move.
I don't.  LDP people have more important work to do.