discuss: Preparing announcement: TLDP and Librarian Science

Subject: Re: Preparing announcement: TLDP and Librarian Science
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 25 Feb 2005 16:07:19 -0000

David Lawyer wrote:

> It seems like hype to me.  I thought "hype" meant hyperbole but my
> dictionary says that "hype" has its own meaning.  But I think the
> announcement is also hyperbole.  The categories classification is a
> minor problem as compared to that of out-of-date documentation.  I think
> that the announcement should be much shorter and might imply that it's
> just one minor step in improving LDP.

I disagree. The new set of categories is to me a major step
forward, a foundation that will make further improvements a
natural development and the beginning of a cooperation with
experts in librarian science.

Of course we would all like something like Lampadas today. So
far we have had high hopes end in disappointment, twice. Big
leaps ahead have eluded us, instead I believe in smaller but
still significant increments. If you look at my prototyping
page you will see a number of such steps. Many are small. This
one is a larger one, at least to me.

TLDP visibility has decreased in recent years, many distributions
no longer carry HOWTO archives and Debian has split the collection
into free an non-free. Announcements then is one way of regaining
that visibility and that is why I keep on doing them.

Incidentally I see the announcement is up on TLDP Weekly News
though not in the very latest version. A few more contact names
were added, see attachment below. The news might be updated with
this version. This happened a little before I expected it to but
timing is fine with me. Can we agree on sending out the
announcement now?

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen

    TLDP and Library and Information Scientists Join Forces

The Linux Documentation Project (TLDP) and the Faculty of Journalism,
Library and Information Science at Oslo University College have joined
forces in an effort to improve the reader experience of the TLDP document
archive.

For more than 10 years TLDP has authored and collected an ever increasing
number of documents. These have been filed in an equally growing document
structure that has shown itself to be less than optimal. An overhaul was
recognised to be overdue and this time it was decided not to "go it alone"
but rather contact the experts on this field: the library and information
scientists.

Oslo University College accepted the invitation from TLDP and soon
Gerd Berget decided to do a professional job of determining an efficient set
of categories as part of a Master's Degree study in library and information
science.

Traditionally the worlds of software and librarians have been
very separate with little, if any, knowledge of each other. This
joint effort is proving itself effective in breaking down the barriers that
have been present for so long. Already the librarians' competence has shown
its efficiency in leveraging its knowledge base in structuring about
500 documents in a way that enables more efficient access to a vast library
of knowledge that is the collection of HOWTOs and guides. Moreover the report
being prepared will raise awareness of the usefulness of library and
information sciences in the field of knowledge management. The world of
Linux and free software has also shown itself to provide numerous efficient
tools for professional document and knowledge management work.

For more information contact
 - Tor Arne Dahl, Faculty of Journalism, Library and Information Science, E-mail: Tor-Arne.Dahl(at)jbi.hio.no
 - Gerd Berget, Faculty of Journalism, Library and Information Science, E-mail: gerdberget(at)yahoo.no
 - Emma Jane Hogbin, TDLP (in North America), E-mail: emmajane(at)tldp.org
 - Rahul Sundaram, TLDP (in Asia) rahulsundaram(at)yahoo.co.in
 - Stein Gjoen, TLDP (in Europe), E-mail: sgjoen(at)mail.nyx.net

# # #