discuss: Modifiability of documentation and software

Subject: Re: Modifiability of documentation and software
From: Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####
Date: 25 Feb 2005 10:45:54 -0000

Hi

> So far no distributions have objected except for
> Debian, which
> distributed the non-modifiable ones in a different
> package.  I don't
> think they should have done this.

Debian is one of the very few distributions
distributing LDP docs. are there any other at all.
Regardless of your opinion a document that is not
modifiable is non-free and will not be distributed by
Free software distributions

> > another custom license. I dont really like this
> idea at all. Here is a
> > alternative proposal
>
> It gets worse regarding custom licenses.
> Prohibiting adding
> advertisements is another thing that could be added
> to a license.  It
> would also include prohibiting display of the
> document with advertising
> in the form of pop-ups, etc.   Even if modification
> is not allowed, one
> could claim that they haven't modified it even
> though they force you to
> look at advertising while you read it.  They could
> use frames for this.
> This stuff happens and is happening right now.  The
> misuse of HOWTOs is
> great, including proliferation of outdated HOWTOs
> when newer versions
> exist.

you completely ignore my proposal. adding licensing
restrictions to prevent misuse is pointless. it simply
will not work out

=====
Regards
Rahul Sundaram