discuss: HOWTO proposal

Subject: Re: HOWTO Proposal
From: Martin Wheeler ####@####.####
Date: 24 Feb 2005 10:20:55 -0000

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 ####@####.#### wrote:

> My proposal is a Computational Linguistics HOWTO.

Go for it!

(The only reason I have any knowledge of computers/computing science at
all is because in 1968 there was *nothing* available to those of us
interested in, and pioneering, the field of computational linguistics; so
we had to learn how to write our own from scratch.  We're talking punched
cards and IBM 1130s here.  And fighting the Physics Dept's ingrained
belief that arts researchers ought not to be allowed within 100 miles of
their precious hardware.)

Since then I've watched the field develop and seen everyone carry on in
the same way -- there's not much out there, so let's re-invent the wheel
and write our own.  Or adapt other stuff (such as Writer's Workbench for
keyword-in-context analysis.)

> This HOWTO would briefly survey the major branches of contemporary
> computational linguistics and the major types of linguistics software, and
> then catalogue Linux software available in each category.

Sorely needed.  I'm sure many people are like me, with their own little
lists of preferred sotware -- badly maintained and rapidly getting out of
date.  [See my reference to Writer's Workbench above!]

> An extensive
> bibliography and list of resources such as websites and mailing lists would
> also included. Some general advice would also be offered on system
> configuration for linguistics work.

Perhaps also a brief history of the field as regards how various bits of
software developed from basic Unix sysadmin utilities?

> I believe this would be a useful resource/starting point for both students
> and academics seeking powerful but economic solutions to computational
> linguistic problems.

Seconded.
####@####.####                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/