discuss: Modifiability of documentation and software

Subject: Re: Modifiability of documentation and software
From: Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####
Date: 24 Feb 2005 09:55:49 -0000

--- "M. Leo Cooper" ####@####.#### wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, David Lawyer wrote:
>
> > I think that as a compromise, we might require
> that a doc must be modifiable in
> > the case that the author can't be located.  If an
> author changes his
> > email, then a revised doc with the new email
> should be submitted.
>
> That's a reasonable compromise. . . .

yes in concept but licensing isnt the way to enforce
it.

> One additional argument against a license that
> permits *anyone* to
> modify your document is that it could be "hijacked"
> by the wrong people
> -- Microsoft, for example.  This was brought home to
> me when, about a
> year and a half ago, I discovered obsolete versions
> of two of my LDP
> howtos on an SCO Group* server. And these documents
> had a Caldera-branded
> navigation bar. Well, I repeatedly emailed SCOG,
> notifying them that
> they had modified my documents in an unacceptable
> way.

what was unacceptable. did the license allow it or
not?. if the license allows it you have no right to
complain whether its MS or SCO. if you didnt allow
modifications you can go ahead and sue them

see my other mail on an alternative idea to deal with this

=====
Regards
Rahul Sundaram

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250