discuss: Preview of categories

Subject: Re: Preview of categories
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 22 Feb 2005 16:33:15 -0000

Gareth Anderson wrote:

> Managing links to relevant sources would be a great idea, although how
> would this affect TLDP policies about quality of documents and the
> review processess etc.?

While links can be useful we should not forget that TLDP also provides
collections of documents useful for inclusion with distributions. Having
actual and complete documents on-disk is very useful when Internet
access is expensive, slow or non-existing, as it still is in many places.

> My answer would be that TLDP would link to the official documentation
> for the project with a note that this is not TLDP controlled or
> something along these lines.
>
> I would much rather see the TLDP as a portal for GNU/Linux
> documentation than an attempt to re-write existing documentation just
> for the sake that it belongs to the TLDP.
>
> In other words, I'd like to see TLDP either host a relevant document
> or link to a document when we are talking about something very popular
> and relevant to GNU/Linux.
>
> Although its not going to be easy to define at what point the link to
> alternative documents should exist...

I am a little hesitant when it comes to portal thinking. Large link
farms are less useful than complete, free standing documents
collected in an organised manner and distributed widely. Some time
ago I proposed we should join other relevant groups and already we
have made contact with the Linux Brochure Project.

I believe there are many more opportunities here that will widen
our scope, provide our readers with a better and more complete
service.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen