discuss: Preview of categories

Subject: Re: Preview of categories
From: Gareth Anderson ####@####.####
Date: 22 Feb 2005 11:32:07 -0000

Quoting Tille:
> Isn't it because good documentation about the free DBs exist that TLDP has > nothing about those?  I always thought thta TLDP fills the gap when system > docs or what you can find on-line are not sufficient.  Maybe we can refer
> to some excellent sources, for those categories where we do not have > HOWTOs (yet)?  This is often a point of complaints by people new to Linux: > they have a problem and they don't know where to start, and they look over
> the HOWTO index and can't find anything appropriate.
>
> Tille.

Managing links to relevant sources would be a great idea, although how
would this affect TLDP policies about quality of documents and the
review processess etc.?

My answer would be that TLDP would link to the official documentation
for the project with a note that this is not TLDP controlled or
something along these lines.

I would much rather see the TLDP as a portal for GNU/Linux
documentation than an attempt to re-write existing documentation just
for the sake that it belongs to the TLDP.

In other words, I'd like to see TLDP either host a relevant document
or link to a document when we are talking about something very popular
and relevant to GNU/Linux.

Although its not going to be easy to define at what point the link to
alternative documents should exist...

Regards,
Gareth