discuss: Preview of categories

Subject: Re: Preview of categories
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 22 Feb 2005 08:41:05 -0000

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 11:39:59PM -0500, Dan Scott wrote:
> Hmm.
>
> The methodology appears to be "Group things by quantity" -- which is
> fine, except in the case of Databases (5.1.3.1) it has led to MMBase,
> Oracle, and Sybase being the primary subcategories, with Ingres, DB2,
> and others being relegated to "Others".

I also noticed the "Group things by quantity" policy.  For network
hardware it has Modems, Routers, Serial Ports, and Wireless.  Why not
add NIC cards for ethernet.  Isn't this a major component of network
hardware?  Well, no one has a HOWTO on these cards, but a HOWTO on them
may be needed.

But back to databases.  I always hoped that LDP would be free
documentation on free software and non-free hardware.  For database
software, there are free databases such as MySQL and PostgreSQL.  But
there are no HOWTOs on free databases.  LDP has only HOWTOs on non-free
databases although some non-database HOWTOs do mention the use of free
databases.  Worst of all, there isn't even a HOWTO comparing the various
free and non-free databases for someone who wants to choose a database
running on Linux.

I think this problem is more serious than the relegation of certain
commercial databases to "other".  So should the categories include
important categories for which there are no LDP docs?  No, but perhaps
a categories-wish-list might include them.