discuss: GPRS mini-HOWTO?

Subject: GPRS mini-HOWTO?
From: Mikko Rapeli ####@####.####
Date: 21 Feb 2005 08:57:12 -0000

Hello LDP,

I've written and maintained a document titled
"Of Linux, GPRS Phones, Serial Cable, Irda, Bluetooth and USB"
four years now and I'd like to polish it up and let go :)

The abstract says:
"This article explains how to use GSM GPRS phones and RS-232 serial
cable, USB, IrDA and Bluetooth for Internet access in Linux. The
provided GPRS configuration scripts are for a Finnish operator
Radiolinja, but can be changed to suite any other operators settings.
This document does not cover all the Linux and RS-232, USB, IrDA,
Bluetooth, TCP/IP or Internet connectivity and trouble shooting details,
since those are covered by other fine documents, howto's and even source
code comments elsewhere."

I think it has enough information to be mini-HOWTO, but I chose that odd
name since there is another Linux GPRS HOWTO (URL:
http://turtiainen.dna.fi/GPRS-HOWTO ) which is a bit incomplete.

There are a lot of small documents on this subject as any search engine
will show, but most of them are about a specific device. From start,
I've tried to be as generic as possible with the instructions and based
on the amount of feedback I've received over the years, the document and
associated scripts seem quite complete. The PPP and Modem HOWTO's are
quite close to the subject, but don't cover the GPRS specific oddities.

Oh, btw GPRS stands for General Packet Radio Service and is a means of
transferring IP or other data packets over a wireless connection
provided by mobile/cellular phones. GSM and UMTS networks and terminals
nowadays support GPRS.

My plan is to go through the LPD-Author-Guide and fix my document
accordingly (need to pick a license etc.), and then submit it for
review. But before starting this job I'd like to hear your comments: is
this topic and the existing document enough for a mini-howto on TLDP or
should I merge it to modem howto for example?

Any other comments or suggestions?

Regards,
-Mikko