discuss: GNU Linux Command Line Tools Summary Ready for inclusion

Subject: Re: GNU Linux Command Line Tools Summary Ready for inclusion
From: Gareth Anderson ####@####.####
Date: 21 Feb 2005 06:53:57 -0000

Hi,

> I just now reviewed the part on the vi and emacs editor.  It fails.  vim
> is not very difficult to learn if one learns only a small number of
> commands.

I will re-word it if I feel it is necessary (undecided for now).

>You say to search for other text editors on the Internet and
> provide a link to sourceforge.  I used the link to sourceforge and
> searched for "text editors".  Nothing found.  "vulnerable" should be
> "venerable".

I will remove those links then.
I believe I meant vulnerable but I could use a better word.

> Then I looks at "xargs".  It was terrible.  Your explanation is wrong and
> and the example with grep doesn't do what you claim.  To do what you
> claim it does, one doesn't need to use xargs.  Just type ls | grep work.
> It's not hard to understand xargs but you claim otherwise and fail to
> explain what xargs does.

I think I will remove xargs, for some reason I decided to leave it before.

> Now don't just fix the 1% I've sampled.  Fix the other 99% too.  You
> need to test out all examples to see it they work right.  You need to
> read the man pages and search the Internet to see if you've got it
> right.  I don't think you've done this.  Sorry to have to be so blunt
> about it but I want to see good quality docs in LDP.

I will not dignify those comments with a reply.

I'll leave the decision upto the other 99% of people who make up the TLDP.

Later,
Gareth