discuss: Submission of new HOWTO for review: The Geeks Guide to Understanding Women

Subject: Re: Submission of new HOWTO for review: The Geeks Guide to Understanding Women
From: Dan Scott ####@####.####
Date: 18 Feb 2005 13:40:48 -0000

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 01:29:12 -0800 (PST), Rahul Sundaram
####@####.#### wrote:
> Hi
>

> > > while this can indeed be a useful document I dont
> > > consider it relevant to LDP
> > >
> > > http://tldp.org/FAQ/LDP-FAQ/index.html#AEN86
> >
> > I agree, but the fact is that +/- 3 years ago, we
> > also allowed "HOWTO
> > Encourage Women in Linux", which I found to be more
> > discriminating and
> > negative both for male and female readers, than this
> > one....
>
> Unfortunate. Let us not repeat the mistake. I am still
> of the opinion that we should remove that howto from
> our collection.

First section I turned to contains this gem:

>>>Bonus hint: look into her eyes while you deliver the compliment,
not at her tits.

I would rather not see this added to the collection.

TLDP HOWTOs get translated and disseminated throughout the world.
Humourous material does not necessarily translate well and may be
offensive to some cultures. In fact, it may be offensive to most
cultures.

(Not to mention that there are female geeks.)

Dan