discuss: Preview of categories

Subject: Re: Preview of categories
From: Dan Scott ####@####.####
Date: 18 Feb 2005 04:40:03 -0000

Hmm.

As a certified (but non-practicing) professional librarian, I
understand the methodology but would like to note that it is open to
abuse. (Full disclosure: I'm employed by IBM and work on IBM DB2
Universal Database.)

The methodology appears to be "Group things by quantity" -- which is
fine, except in the case of Databases (5.1.3.1) it has led to MMBase,
Oracle, and Sybase being the primary subcategories, with Ingres, DB2,
and others being relegated to "Others".

Now, the 'abuse' is that applications wishing to increase their
visibility could simply submit multiple, slightly different HOWTOs,
thereby earning a category of their own and bumping a potential
competitor back into the "Others" category. For example, this metric
would have encouraged Ian Hakes and I to keep the "DB2 Version 7
HOWTO" around as well as the new "DB2 Version 8 HOWTO". Instead, we
did the right thing and simply replaced the Version 7 HOWTO with the
Version 8 HOWTO. (For real abuse, I suppose we could also have split
the HOWTO up into distribution-specific HOWTOs rather than collecting
them together). Of course, TLDP will hopefully reject separate
submissions that are obviously not driven by user need, but there are
arguably already examples of this in the collection today.

I suspect that the real underlying problem here is breaking a category
down by product name. That actually introduces an inconsistency into
the categorization system, which in almost every other branch is
broken down by the purpose of the technology.

The second issue is that classifying content management systems like
MMBase and PHP-Nuke under the DBMS category is questionable. Content
management systems are often built on top of databases, but they serve
a much narrower scope of purpose and should be placed in their own
category (as a peer of databases, I would suggest).

Otherwise, this seems like a very good step in the right direction.

Dan