discuss: Merging Linuxdoc and Docbook (was: Linux Aviation HOWTO)

Subject: Re: Merging Linuxdoc and Docbook (was: Linux Aviation HOWTO)
From: Mysid ####@####.####
Date: 17 Feb 2005 20:50:32 -0000

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:00:45 -0800, David Lawyer ####@####.#### wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, David Lawyer wrote:
> >
> > > I would like to see DocBook to LinuxDoc.  I know there would be a loss
> > > in tag info, but I think it would be of benefit in many cases.

Wouldn't it make more sense to go from LinuxDoc to Docbook XML,
because Docbook is a more widely considered standard?

The fact that it is XML should mean that it is easier to make and
maintain automated tools for processing the documents.

And decent editors to operate at a semantic level so that authors need
not worry about the tags or syntax of SGML, at all,

Which they should not; ideally the structure of the document should be
presented to the author so they can edit it without needing to know
about the syntax and underlying representation of the document.

Authors needing to learn any kind of special markup or New language
just to write things in English is a barrier to entry that would be
best eliminated, IMO.

To close tags or not to close tags is really a side issue, from having
to know the names of the tags, where they can appear, and how to
use them

--
-Mysid