discuss: A few questions ..

Subject: Re: A few questions ..
From: Howard Shane ####@####.####
Date: 11 Feb 2005 04:08:57 -0000

On 02/10/05 06:55:31, Evgueni Tzvetanov wrote:
> A lot of system administration details are completely different in
> every distribution and even if someone try to stick to "independence"
> concept it is simply is not going to happen. The architecture of each
> distribution is different, that's why the distributions are so many.

I have to disagree somewhat. There are enough similarities in different
distros that one can still write a relatively neutral document, or
perhaps a better word is 'balanced.' There are several good examples in
TLDP. Each document I have written I have tried to address various
tasks from the perspective of different distros, and have included
distro-specific info submitted to me by helpful users (though I have to
admit my own preferred distribution intrudes into my narratives more
than I would like, if only because it is what I am most familar with).

The Linux Standards Base (http://www.linuxbase.org) has helped to erase
some of the divergence that I suspect would have otherwise
characterized distributions by this point in time. If distributions are
as radically different as you suggest, why hasn't TLDP fragmented into
the RHLDP, DebLDP and so on?

> It is the LDP, which means it should treat all distributions with
> respect and frankly speaking you don't find many enthusiasts to write
> Slackware documentation recently.

No, but perhaps it should be a goal of an author, within his or her
abilities, to write a document that will benefit as many people as
possible with regard to that topic.

hs