discuss: status of lampadas

Subject: Re: status of lampadas
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 26 Jan 2005 14:13:29 -0000

Hello Tim,

Lampadas is being rolled into Plone. Here is the update from David on the
work that is done, and what still needs to be done:

1. Improve support for Docbook as a "source" format. Plone lets you edit
your documents (online, through an HTML form in the Plone interface) in
several formats (Structured Text, HTML and Plain Text). I and some
others in the Archetypes project have been working to get DocBook
supported included in mainline. We're implementing it as a modular
architecture, so additional source formats can be supported just by
providing the conversion routines. So, for example, LinuxDoc could also
be added, or even Texinfo. We're about 40-50% of the way toward having
DocBook support in place. We currently have limited support (only one
version of the DTD, for example).

2. Add LinuxDoc support. Fairly trivial once #1 is complete.

At his point Plone would allow most LDP documents to be published, but
only manually through Plone's interface. And that's really not the way
we want to go. We've only laid the groundwork. 1 and 2 are both already
on the Plone development roadmap.

3. Provide a "push" script to import source files and post them as Plone
documents. That script would be temporary glue and reside outside of
Plone proper. I've already implemented this for Lampadas, so the
remaining work is to update that code to work with Plone.

4. Integrate that "push" script into Plone, so it becomes a "pull"
mechanism. When the file on disk changes, Plone sees that and imports
the file. The files would actually be in an LDP CVS repository, so doing
a "cvs update" would publish all updated documents.

At this point, for any given document you can either maintain it in CVS
and the have it published in Plone, or just maintain it in Plone,
without putting it in CVS at all. Not quite where we want to be, but
getting there.

5. Allow users to edit the Plone document, and have Plone update the
disk file. This allows the user to maintain the document in Plone, but
have it exported into CVS.

6. Get the conversion from file->Plone and Plone->file to be
bidirectional. We'll have to be able to import a DocBook file into
Plone, edit the Plone document, and export it back to the DocBook file
without losing anything. It can be done, because I've done a
proof-of-concept, but it will be tricky.

Now, we're publishing our documents in Plone! Obviously further
enhancements could be made, but the minimum stuff works.

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
I18N Coordinator, The Linux Documentation Project