discuss: New HOWTO: Self-certifying File System (SFS)

Subject: Re: New HOWTO: Self-certifying File System (SFS)
From: Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jan 2005 13:16:36 -0000

Hi

> -------------------------
>
> Although it runs over NFS, SFS is a system of
> sufficient complexity to
> warrant its own documentation. The SFS already have
> documentation, but
> it is quite technical and written in quite terse
> language.

many end users who download software from the net
expect documentation related to it within the package
itself and probably will not expect it to be available
in tldp.org . while it might not be feasible for
complicated stuff, sfs seems focussed enough to
warrant such inclusion. have you considered submitting
your documentation to the developers themselves for
inclusion in the source package?

> While an SFS HOWTO must not cover NFS (since there
> is already a HOWTO),
> it should give enough coverage of how NFS is used so
> that the user can
> easily debug any problems that exist - the SFS
> documentation does not
> cover this.

you can consider mentioning nfs briefly and linking to
the nfs howto in tldp.org

The SFS further does not cover
> implementation issues which
> would be of interest to the end user (e.g., how to
> allow SFS traffic
> through a firewall).
>

> I have sufficient resources for writing such a
> document, including a
> website and the ability to use CVS. Does this sound
> like something that
> would be of interest to the project?

In general, yes but It does seem that the upstream
source is a better candidate for your documentation.
It might give sfs more exposure if a document is hosed
in LDP but I would like you to give clear reasons for
your document to be hosted in LDP rather than within
the sfs site itself

=====
Regards
Rahul Sundaram