discuss: New HOWTO: Self-certifying File System (SFS)

Subject: New HOWTO: Self-certifying File System (SFS)
From: Alex Hudson ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jan 2005 13:06:11 -0000

Hi

I have read the Author's Guide, apologies if I'm making this request in
the wrong way. I would like to write a new HOWTO on SFS, having checked
that no such document currently exists. I would like to know if anyone
else is working on such a thing.

SFS Overview
------------

SFS is a network filesystem that makes NFS exports securely available
via the internet. It is a global filesystem, and works on a variety of
free software and non-free software operating systems. Please don't
confuse this with the SFS mentioned in the Filesystems HOWTO.

	Project page: http://www.fs.net/sfswww/

Reasons for writing HOWTO
-------------------------

Although it runs over NFS, SFS is a system of sufficient complexity to
warrant its own documentation. The SFS already have documentation, but
it is quite technical and written in quite terse language.

While an SFS HOWTO must not cover NFS (since there is already a HOWTO),
it should give enough coverage of how NFS is used so that the user can
easily debug any problems that exist - the SFS documentation does not
cover this. The SFS further does not cover implementation issues which
would be of interest to the end user (e.g., how to allow SFS traffic
through a firewall).

I have sufficient resources for writing such a document, including a
website and the ability to use CVS. Does this sound like something that
would be of interest to the project?

Cheers,

Alex.