discuss: part of the review?

Subject: Re: part of the review?
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 6 Jul 2001 06:49:32 -0000

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 11:10:34PM -0400, David Merrill wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 05:28:17PM -0700, Poet/Joshua Drake wrote:
> > >I agree with Dan that forcing people to convert is not the way to go.
> > >But there are real advantages, and will be more and more as the other
> > >projects advance, that make it a good idea to encourage conversion.
> >
> > We could stop accepting LinuxDoc but allow existing authors to use it for
> > existing Docs only.
>
> Fine with me.

I strongly disagree.  I think that LinuxDoc is a lot easier for new
writers to learn and use.  Since anything submitted in LinuxDoc gets
automatically converted by LDP to DocBook, it also becomes available
to the world in DocBook format.  So we need to give new writers a
choice.  They will likely want to continue using whatever editor they
now use and may need to type in the tags manually which is a lot
easier in LinuxDoc.

I wrote the mini-HOWTO: Howtos-with-LinuxDoc just for the purpose of
teaching new authors how to use LinuxDoc.  If you irrationally require
them to use DocBook, then all my work on this is mostly wasted.  I
think that new authors need to be fully informed about the pros and
cons of LinuxDoc in the LAG.