discuss: Linux Aviation HOWTO

Subject: Re: Linux Aviation HOWTO
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 20 Jan 2005 16:28:03 -0000

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 02:52 -0800, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Please consider submitting these docs to LDP

At some point I likely will, Rahul. That and the small chance that I may
be able to help someone else with their docs (by review or contribution)
are major reasons why I still hang out on the LDP lists.

However, as I've commented on the discuss list previously, you write
about what you know if you want to write something useful. At this
point, I *only* work with Red Hat and Fedora Core Linux and I also
happen to like and recommend them; so *by design* my documentation at
this point is very specific to those distros. I'm also extremely short
on time, to the point that simple revisions to these documents sometimes
take me months... so there is no way I'm going to find (or even try to
find!) the time to also investigate how to perform the same tasks at the
same skill level in other distros.

Feel free to check it out to form your own opinion, but every time I see
someone propose a document to LDP they get at least three responses on
the order of "you have one distro-specific command in there... horror of
horrors, take it out and make it generic". I don't have the time, the
skill/knowledge, or frankly the interest to go through that process at
this point, so I've chosen to keep my docs on my site only.

That does not mean I am committed to that course of action forever, only
that the additional work required to achieve the level of agnosticism
which seems to be required by LDP is beyond the scope of my efforts at
this point in time.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz ####@####.####