discuss: Request for Review - Linux Home Server HOWTO

Subject: Re: Request for Review - Linux Home Server HOWTO
From: Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####
Date: 19 Jan 2005 13:03:37 -0000

Hi

> My intent here was to cover the install for new
> users, but most
> important was the packages they needed for the
> configurations.

your intention is good but distribution installations
are out of scope for your document.

For the
> future, I suppose I should simply list the packages
> and any extra
> details in each distro's annex, then let the user do
> the install.

list the upstream source packages and not the rpm
names. even that could just be moved into the annex.
typically Linux distributions already has the
necessary packages. you just need to configure them
the way you want

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html#s-net-high

> Thats a good resource there, thanks for the link.

please move all such references to annexures or as
notes and let the main document just cover the core
configuration details

> I just wanted to document what I thought most users
> would be after and I
> think I've covered those areas of interest.
> I may look at some alternate apps like
> postfix/proftpd etc... but I
> think the document generally is what most are
> looking for.

yes but you need to be careful about not being overly
redundant. you might want to look for documentation
related to what you are covering under various
sections in LDP and elsewhere and link to them within
those sections wherever appropriate

"
This document was developed with Fedora Core 3, and
some configuration aspects will favour FC3 more than
other Linux distributions. Distribution specific
details will be moved to annexes in later revisions."

this can be a note and need to be part of the main
summary. please look into converting this document
into docbook or linuxdoc. use the resources link in
tldp.org and various documents explaining the docbook
and linuxdoc formats and purpose. start with a
template or a existing document like this one from cvs
http://cvs.tldp.org/index.cgi/LDP/howto/docbook/LDP-Reviewer-HOWTO.xml

since you are using fc3, there is a "xmlto" command
which makes this process very easy. you could also
read the docs linked from here

http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/docs/

=====
Regards