discuss: Request for Review - Linux Home Server HOWTO

Subject: Re: Request for Review - Linux Home Server HOWTO
From: Miles Brennan ####@####.####
Date: 19 Jan 2005 12:36:15 -0000

Howard Shane wrote:

> Miles,
>
> Overall great work. A question: Is it necessary to have an
> 'installation' chapter at all when so many other documents out there
> address this, and perhaps more distribution specific? Perhaps you
> could  get away with just some links to the relevant documents. It
> just seems  that most people that decide to set up a Linux home server
> are probably  already somewhat familiar with it and have been through
> the  installation process before.

My intent here was to cover the install for new users, but most
important was the packages they needed for the configurations. For the
future, I suppose I should simply list the packages and any extra
details in each distro's annex, then let the user do the install.

> Also the info in chapter 4 on interface configuration is RH specific.
> For Debian systems you can probably link to the following:
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html#s-net-high

Thats a good resource there, thanks for the link.

> In fact there are a few other sections where your work may already be
> done for you (and in some your chapters are better than the relevant
> stand-alone tldp document).  It might save you some time and extra
> work  to link where appropriate.

I just wanted to document what I thought most users would be after and I
think I've covered those areas of interest.
I may look at some alternate apps like postfix/proftpd etc... but I
think the document generally is what most are looking for.

> I think the quality of your work is too good to limit its exposure by
> making it a Fedora-only document

I'm glad you appreciate the effort.

Thanks for the feedback.

Miles.