discuss: Request for Review - Linux Home Server HOWTO

Subject: Re: Request for Review - Linux Home Server HOWTO
From: Miles Brennan ####@####.####
Date: 15 Jan 2005 05:35:33 -0000

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>I guess you will have to find other places beyond this
>list for peer feedback

Sorry, I was just asking for more feedback from anyone here, the
document is also listed and discussed elsewhere.
I've had ~4700 visitors in the last 2 weeks, but I cant force people to
send me feedback, all responses so far though have been very positive, a
lot of suggestions to add extra features etc...

I have not had much technical feedback for any corrections though.
Either my document is fairly accurate or the new users (my target
audience) are too confused; probably the last one  :D

>The howto seems to be very fedora specific

Yes chapters 3 and 7 are very much fedora, I agree. I have mentioned
this at the beginning of these chapters and also on the main title page.
My long term plan for the document is to move the distro specific
"installation" and "package management" sections into annexes with a
collection of extra guides for more distros. This also means that
chapters 3 and 7 will need to be redeveloped in later revisions.

>suggestions
>
>1)move to fedora docs project
>2)make the commands and goal generic enough
>3)rename the howto to suggest that its fedora specific
>(i dont really like this but it has been done before)

Yes I can replace "service" with "/etc/init...", is there a generic
"chkconfig" equiv ?

Giving detailed examples of commands and filenames is always going to be
difficult to make generic because most distros are different with their
own commands and file locations in some way. I am happy to do as much as
I can to make it as generic as possible, I can even add a small intro
section/table at the beginning to show 'equivalent' commands/settings
between the distros (if need be). There will also be the details in the
annexes.

The applications that are described are also going to be distro specific
to some degree, not all distros are going to use vsftpd for example.
There's no reason why I can't add postfix or Pure-FTPd into these
chapters to provide the user with a choice.

Im sure I can organise some extra distro documentation from some
volunteers; this is only the initial version after all.

If there are any other major distro specific issues that I haven't
covered above, please let me know. I would prefer the document to
benefit the community as a whole that just one distro.

>after the conversion

I now have a Turkish volunteer also.

Regards,
Miles..