discuss: Request for Review - Linux Home Server HOWTO

Subject: Re: Request for Review - Linux Home Server HOWTO
From: Miles Brennan ####@####.####
Date: 4 Jan 2005 02:26:14 -0000

Saqib Ali wrote:

>Since we are talking about titles, I would like to suggest that you
>rename your HOWTO to "Fedora/RedHat Home Server HOWTO" , since it is
>very very Fedora Centric. What you describe in your HOWTO will
>probably not on other distros.

There are currently 2 chapters that are FC3 specific, those are 3 - The
step-by-step install guide, and 7 - Package Management.

I have indicated at the beginning of these 2 chapters (also on the main
title page), that they will eventually become annexes, as suggested in
our initial discussions a few weeks ago. If you check the rest of the
documentation you should see that I have not mentioned any specific
distribution through those chapters I have just concentrated on the
generic configurations for that application.

My eventual plan is to have those two chapters just explaining the
concepts, then the user will head to the annex for the specific distro
info they need. For example, Annex A may contain step-by-step install
instructions for several different distros, the user then follows A-1 or
A-2 whichever suits their distro/need. Same for Annex B, package
management. These extra annexes could be compiled by other distro users
to support the main document, Im sure I can eventually drum up some
supporting users at assist.

Regards,
Miles Brennan