discuss: Request for Review - Linux Home Server HOWTO

Subject: Re: Request for Review - Linux Home Server HOWTO
From: Miles Brennan ####@####.####
Date: 2 Jan 2005 23:43:14 -0000

Saqib Ali wrote:

>Hello Miles,
>
>The HOWTO looks pretty good, and covers a lot of interesting topics.
>
>I read chapters 12, 13, 14, and 16, cause I m fimiliar with these
>topics. I didn't catch any tecnical errors. But here is some feedback
>on the content:

Thanks.

>chapter 13 (apache): In the SSL section you might also want to add
>that after generating the CSR, the user can send the CSR to be signed
>by a Certificate Authority as well, instead of just signing their own
>public certificates.

I can see I only half explained this, Ill expand it a little more.

>You can also add a section on how to remove the
>passphrase from the Private Key

The openssl sequence I used does remove the passphrase, I just never
explained it really to the user. I suppose I should.

>chapter 16 (SSH): A section on SSH tunneling might be good. you can
>give examples of how SSH tunnelling can utilized e.g. accessing port
>that are blocked on a firewall, or encrypting LDAP traffic using SSH
>tunneling etc.

Tunneling may be a little advanced for the newer user, I might leave it
out for now and maybe add it in a later revision.

>Where is the XML source of this document located?

The current format is only HTML. ;)  Just needed to get it done first,
I've had to cover a lot.

Thanks for the feedback Saqib, I'll scurry off now and revisit the SSL
section a little further. I might change the filenames in the SSL
section to "private" / "public", maybe it will read a little better;
I'll have another look.

Regards,

Miles Brennan.