discuss: DB2 for Linux HOWTO ready for review

Subject: Re: DB2 for Linux HOWTO ready for review
From: Ian Hakes ####@####.####
Date: 9 Dec 2004 19:39:56 -0000

Hi,

If the disclaimer were removed, then that creates the possibility that if
a user followed the instructions in the modified document, and their
system crashed or died as a result (which I would be very surprised :-)),
then they could claim that IBM caused the damage because they did not
disclaim ownership of the contents. Then they could sue IBM.

That's a lot of "if"s, "and"s, and "but"s, but that seems to be the nature
of the business world these days.

Anyway, I have made the changes you suggested in your first review, and I
have put the new copy up onto:

http://www.julieandian.com/writing/howto/DB2LinuxHowTo.htm (along with a
revised copy of the pdf)

Cheers,
Ian

Ian Hakes

ID Infrastructure Team Lead
IBM DB2 Universal Database
Notes: Ian Hakes/Toronto/IBM
Email: ####@####.####
Phone: (905) 413-2583
Tie Line: 969-2583
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Linux Professional Institute Certified Level 1

Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####
12/09/2004 01:56 PM

Ian Hakes/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
cc
####@####.####
Subject
Re: DB2 for Linux HOWTO ready for review

--- Ian Hakes ####@####.#### wrote:

> I can drop everything but the "Disclaimer" -- IBM
> lawyers won't let it be
> released without that section to ensure that this
> document can't be used
> as a means for litigation against the company.

You mean somebody can remove the disclaimer in the
original section if it was invariant and then litigate
against the company based on a modified document?

If so then go ahead and keep it as a invariant section

I just noticed that another howto copyright IBM has a
simple license without such invariant sections or even
a disclaimer for that matter.

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/EVMSUG/html/index.html

You might want to take a look at that ...

=====
Regards
Rahul Sundaram

http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com