discuss: DB2 for Linux HOWTO ready for review

Subject: Re: DB2 for Linux HOWTO ready for review
From: Ian Hakes ####@####.####
Date: 9 Dec 2004 18:08:51 -0000

Hi Rahul,

Points:
1) By dropping the invariants section, do you mean only this paragraph?

The "Invariant Sections" are certain Secondary Sections whose titles are
designated, as being those of Invariant Sections, in the notice that says
that the Document is released under this License. If a section does not
fit the above definition of Secondary then it is not allowed to be
designated as Invariant. The Document may contain zero Invariant Sections.
If the Document does not identify any Invariant Sections then there are
none.

2) I will add in links for the Red Hat, Suse, Mandrake and Fedora sites in
the Resource Section.

3) I will add in the 'up2date' utility instructions for Red Hat.

4) Although Fedora Core 2 is not the 'current' version, I know that there
are still a large group who haven't moved to FC3 yet. I propose leaving
this section in (though removing the 'current' designation, as you
suggest), and I'll put a Fedora Core 3 section in as the first revision
after this document has gone out (otherwise I will have to delay it by
adding in new technical information).

I very much appreciate your prompt review.

(Your note also seems to have some weird echoing of characters)

Cheers,
Ian

Ian Hakes

ID Infrastructure Team Lead
IBM DB2 Universal Database
Notes: Ian Hakes/Toronto/IBM
Email: ####@####.####
Phone: (905) 413-2583
Tie Line: 969-2583
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Linux Professional Institute Certified Level 1

Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####
12/09/2004 12:49 PM

Ian Hakes/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, ####@####.####
cc

Subject
Re: DB2 for Linux HOWTO ready for review

--- Ian Hakes <ihihakesa.ibibmom> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The DB2 HOHOWTOas been passed by IBM internal
> approvals and is available
> for LDLDPeview at

hthttp/wwwwwujulieandianom/writing/hohowtoB2LiLinuxHowTothtm>
(a PDPDFopy is
> available at

hthttp/wwwwwujulieandianom/writing/hohowtoB2LiLinuxHowTodpdf

OkOkI have quickly gone ththroughhe document

a few suggestions

* consider dropping the invariant sections of the
document in the license.

* Link to the appropriate websites for
reredhatususefedora etc.

* for reredhatp2date is the recommended way of
installing new packages. once you have done the
rhrhnegistration it is a trivial thing to do a

# up2date <package name>

since yayasts mentioned for sususehis seems to be
appropriate addition to me

for a specific example

"RHRHEL has babackportedhe asynchronous I/O kernel
capabilities of the 2.6 kernel into their 2.4 kernel,
but you will need to download and install the
lilibaioPM package to take advantage of this."

can be followed by
---
do a check using this command
rpm -q lilibaioif not you can install it using
up2date lilibaio-----

fedora core 2 is not the current release. fedora core
3. the document needs to be updated to reflect this
change. since fedora project has an explicit goal of
doing rapid releases. Mentioning which release is
"current" can be dropped altogether

If anyone is willing to do a tech review please let
the list know.

Since the current technical review coordinator is busy
with other things we have discussed such a quick
review to get your document into the collection and
update it if and when reviewers can be formally
assigned to the document. If thats the general
agreement I suggest we do the same for this howto

=====
Regards
Rahul Sundaram

http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com