discuss: Introduction

Subject: Introduction
From: "Bas v.d. Wiel" ####@####.####
Date: 25 Nov 2004 21:52:01 -0000

Hello all,
A couple of days ago I was approached by Rahul Sundaram with the request
to join the LDP. I'd be happy to help out, so here I am freshly
subscribed to the mailing list.

I'm a journalist by trade, working for the website of a relatively large
regional newspaper here in the Netherlands. Free software and Linux have
been on my computers since 1997 when I first got broadband. I had heard
of FreeBSD before that time but the download was prohibitively large for
my metered dialup. Currently I have 4 PC's running Linux exclusively and
a Mac that's dual booting OSX and Gentoo 64-bit.

My day job entails selecting and editing articles from a printed
newspaper for publication on the web. This means that my primary skills
that could be of use to the LDP are in editing/chunking/summarizing and
reviewing. I wouldn't shy away from authoring new documentation
material, but that's not the area that I've had professional training or
experience in. It never hurts to learn though.

Another area where I might be useful is in translations. I am fluent in
English at a level closely approaching a native language because of long
time childhood exposure to the language but it isn't my actual native
tongue. My actual native language is Dutch and I'd be happy to do some
translation tasks or proof read documents that were translated earlier.

Hopefully this introductory email gives you an idea of what I could add
to the LDP. I've been a long time user of Linux but I'm not much of a
developer. I feel that through the LDP I can give something back to the
community despite my lack of programming skills. Let me know if there
are any questions left unanswered. Since I'm new here I'll just lurk in
the shadows of this list for a while and read along so I can get an idea
of the topics discussed here.

Kind regards,

Bas v.d. Wiel