discuss: Linux Home Server - HOWTO Document Proposal

Subject: Re: Linux Home Server - HOWTO Document Proposal
From: Miles Brennan ####@####.####
Date: 25 Nov 2004 02:19:07 -0000

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

>but this document *precisely* does what you say: it shows the user how to
>work with lots of small pieces to do one big task, which is their
>network server.
>
>I happen to be writing just such a document myself, and I can say with
>certainty that way too many people don't have the knowledge and time to
>integrate all those small pieces to get their LAN working. That's why
>they use Windows. But the people who use the boxes I've set up are
>delighted with them... they just can't build one themselves.

Agreed.

My intention with the document is to target those people that are
looking at setting up their own home or small office networks using
Linux as the gateway server, but may lack the technical knowledge in
doing so. I am trying to cover several 'separate programs' and tie them
together so the audience can see how they all work on the one machine
and provide all the services they require in a small network.. It should
be a high level document with enough configuration and supporting
explanation to get them running with some understanding as to why.

I too have spoken to several 'not so techincal' people, and I agree they
find it frustrating getting their Linux systems functioning the way they
intend, if at all.

Yes unfortunately my document will favor Fedora Core 3 so will be a
little "distrocentric', but it will use all the packages provided on the
one media to accomplish the task. I'll keep the configuration generic as
possible. The title may need to be changed to suit. Being a uni project,
one of the guidelines is FC3 distro.

The document will be hosted on my website (http://www.brennan.id.au)
during development if anyone cares to view/comment, obviously there will
be plenty of holes until it's complete.

On a side note, I have contacted both authors of the similar HOWTOs, and
they have replied their intentions for update/maintanence on their work.
Who do I need to pass this onto?

Regards,

Miles Brennan