discuss: Linux Home Server - HOWTO Document Proposal

Subject: Re: Linux Home Server - HOWTO Document Proposal
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 25 Nov 2004 00:12:00 -0000

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 08:05 -0600, Michael H. Collins wrote:
> I think this document is not in the unix way which is lots of small
> programs working together.  To me all the individual subjects in this
> proposed document should have their own document as most already do.

Indeed most of those pieces already have their own documentation, but
this document *precisely* does what you say: it shows the user how to
work with lots of small pieces to do one big task, which is their
network server.

I happen to be writing just such a document myself, and I can say with
certainty that way too many people don't have the knowledge and time to
integrate all those small pieces to get their LAN working. That's why
they use Windows. But the people who use the boxes I've set up are
delighted with them... they just can't build one themselves.

> And then there are things like yum/up2date which are distrocentric and
> really put me off.  And who would run sendmail when there is postfix etc.

People will use (and write about) what they know. Once such a document
is written, it is easier to expand it to other flavors. Requiring that
everything cover every possible distro or tool is a recipe for failure
since very few good docs will get produced.

Also, please don't allow your opinions to influence you into trying to
disparage someone else's. I have been using Sendmail in a commercial
environment for about nine years now, and it has worked well for me. I
keep wanting to try Postfix but I have not had the time. And your
comment about "who would run sendmail" is simply rude, as it implies
that you have and own The One Absolute Truth and that the OP is either
crazy or stupid. And somehow I doubt that either part of that is true.

> If I wrote this doc it would contain one four letter word.
>
> RTFM  :-))

That's not much of a HOWTO then, is it? The point is to write
documentation that is useful for those who read it, and tailor
everything (content, level of detail, even vocabulary) to your intended
audience. I highly doubt you are in the target audience for this doc.

And as an aside, please trim unnecessary text from your replies. It is
impolite to force others to eliminate two pages of previous stuff from
your post.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz ####@####.####