discuss: Linux Home Server - HOWTO Document Proposal

Subject: Re: Linux Home Server - HOWTO Document Proposal
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 24 Nov 2004 16:51:40 -0000

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 11:40:44AM -0500, Christopher Priest wrote:
> I'm am really in favour of the kind of document Michael is talking about. I
> don't know what to call it though. Overview, review, summary etc. none seem
> good. At the university you see a review of current literature for each
> major topic about every two years. It would be nice to see the overview
> before reading the specifics.

When it's phrased like this, I think it sounds like a good idea. I would
change the way the headings are structured though. For example, instead of
having a section called "Squid" have a section called, "Caching/Proxies"
with the example of Squid (and list a few other examples as well). Same
thing for "Yum / Up2Date" that section I would rename, "Package Managers."

I agree with the other comments that have been made about bringing other
documentation up to date. Hopefully whatever new information is written
which is comprehensive can be submitted back to the authors of the
original documents so that they can also be brought up to date. I'm not
sure that a document of this scope would necessarily try to replace all of
the existing documents though...

thanks,
emma

--