discuss: Linux Home Server - HOWTO Document Proposal

Subject: Re: Linux Home Server - HOWTO Document Proposal
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 24 Nov 2004 06:30:37 -0000

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 05:05:24PM +1000, Miles Brennan wrote:
> G'day All,
>
> I'm looking at writing a HOWTO over the summer break as a uni project.
>
> The initial concept that has been proposed to me is a Dedicated Linux
> Server for a complete home / SOHO LAN, using Dynamic IPs and DDNS. It
> should be applicable to most basic users that have simple ISP broadband
> accounts.

It's more that just a LAN isn't it?   Will it not serve web pages to
anyone on the Internet?

> There are already 2 similar documents located at TLDP
> ("Home-Network-mini-HOWTO" and "Domain"), however they are a few years
> out of date, and don't cover the same content I'm proposing.
Could you contact the authors and ask if they plan on updating?  If the
content is out-of-date they need updating.

> This document would primarily be based on FC3, but I'll keep the
> configuration files/guides generic as possible.
>
> Here are the basics:
>
>    1.    Modem Configurations (USB and Ether)
Cable or DSL Modems (but that's too long)
>    2.    Network Configs
>    3.    IPTables Concepts
>    4.    Yum / Up2date
What about apt-get for Debian?
>    5.   Dynamic IP / DDNS
>        -    DDNS Internet Services
>        -    DDNS automation scripts
>    6.   NTP
>        -    ntpd config
>        -    Client Config
>    7.   DHCPD
>    8.    Apache Web Server
>        -    Implement SSL Certs
>        -    URL Write Mod
>        -    Webmail
>        -    Virtual Hosts
>    9.    Sendmail
or sendmail "clones" like exim?
>        -    Some hardening considerations
>        -    Mail Aliases
>        -    IMAP Mailboxes
>        -    Spamassasin / Clamav
>    10.   BIND
>        -    Internal Config
>        -    External Cached
>    11.    Squid Caching Proxy
>        -    Access Controls
>    12.   SAMBA
>        -    User Accounts
>        -    Network Printing
>        -    Shared Directories
>    13.    Shared Address Books (LDAP)
>    14.    System Backup Scripts
>

> Please let me know your thoughts on the concept, as it isn't yet set in
> concrete, and I value your opinions. Somethings may be added / dropped.

Look good so you should go ahead with it, although I don't know the
subject very well.

For a simple alternative to DocBook markup see my mini howto:
Howtos-with-LinuxDoc.  The LinuxDoc format is much easier to learn and
use but is technically inferior to DocBook.  The url is
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Howtos-with-LinuxDoc.html