discuss: Linux Networking Guide

Subject: Re: Linux Networking Guide
From: Binh Nguyen ####@####.####
Date: 22 Nov 2004 11:59:46 -0000

> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Hmmm.... Got kind of carried away with writing a
> new guide. Anyway,
> > for those not in the know I've been in the process
> of combining the
> > ~99? networking doc's, putting them into a new
> guide and making sure
> > that the doc is coherent. Problem is, its become
> rather big (about 3/4
> > the size of the "Linux Dictionary" which is about
> 2000 pages?) and I'm
> > not sure how I should split up the content anymore
> and whether I
> > should actually get rid of some content to make it
> more readable and
> > less intimidating. So I was wondering whether
> there was someone who
> > would be willing to take a quick whiz at it and
> just look at the
> > format of it? I know its still kind of rough but
> you should be able to
> > garner some idea of what the finished product will
> be like from it.
>
> I took a quick look at it and sampled a few % of it.
>  First, you haven't
> written 1500 pages since most all of it is just
> copied from various
> other HOWTOs with some minor changes.  There is
> likely to be a licensing
> problem with doing this since some licenses say you
> must license it
> under the same license.

Already checked this....

> One major problem is that much of what you've copied
> is obsolete.  Sure,
> one can still set up networks that way but there is
> better software and
> in some cases, better protocols to use.  I'm no
> expert on networks so I
> just sampled stuff that I knew about.

That's something I'm working on. I'm just asking for
comments about the format of the doc mainly....

> The second major problem is that all this is not
> integrated and doesn't
> tie in together.  Some of the material is not even
> about networks.

That's something I'm working on and yes, I do know
this, which is one of the reasons I asked this list in
order to help me remove the unrequired material.

> Furthermore, suppose someone updates one of these
> howtos that you
> include.  Shouldn't your guide be automatically
> updated somehow?

No, this document will be entirely self contained.

> So we are back to square one.  We have a lot of
> network HOWTOs, most of
> which are obsolete.  It would seem that what we need
> instead are a lot
> of up-to-date HOWTOs on various types and aspects of
> networks.  Then we
> need a guide that gives an overview of all of this,
> perhaps something
> like Tanenbaum's textbook: Computer Networks.  The
> overview would link
> to all the other HOWTOs so one could consult them
> for details.  All of
> this is a big task to be done by many people.  But
> one person could
> start by updating one or more HOWTOs, etc.

Hmmm.... I think you haven't read through enough of
the doc....

http://au.movies.yahoo.com